Skip navigation

"We are the company your neighbors trust and use"

Menu

Heating Your Home Safely This Winter: What You Need to Know

Those of us living in the Peach State know that summer is not quite done with us just yet. The nights are cooling off, though, and it won’t be long before they’re dipping into the forties—or lower! Yes, it’s that time of year when you should at least start to give your heating system some thought. Get your replacement out of the way now if you need a new heater in place, and be sure to schedule routine maintenance to ensure a reliable performance. 

Of course, heating your home reliably is second only to doing so safely. Safe heating is the name of the game, and it is what we’d like to discuss with you today. We’ll consider two heating-related dangers, and cover what you can do to avoid any safety hazards. Read on, and be sure to schedule your heating services in Summerville, GA with the heating technicians on our team.

Gas Leaks

Natural gas is among the most popular of all heating fuels. It’s not hard to understand why. It’s versatile, and can be used for heating, cooking, and even drying clothes in the drying machine. It is also piped directly into the house and to the appliances, so you won’t have to store it on-site, nor will you have to schedule deliveries.

Gas leaks, however, are serious business. You cannot allow natural gas to leak into your home. It is a serious hazard; this is a combustible gas that we’re talking about, after all. If you smell the sulfuric odor of natural gas in your home, reminiscent of rotten eggs, get out of the house and contact the appropriate authorities immediately. Should repairs to your heater be necessary, we can do the job.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is another gas, and one that presents a unique problem in that it is all but undetectable to humans. CO is generated by the incomplete combustion of fuels such as natural gas, oil, and wood. It is also entirely without scent, taste, or color. That is why reliable CO detectors must be installed in all living areas of the house, especially sleeping areas.

In low level exposures, carbon monoxide poisoning can result in flu-like symptoms. As exposure time and levels increase, the symptoms will worsen. They can include headaches, nausea, body pains, dizziness, disorientation, vomiting, and, eventually, a loss of consciousness. If exposure levels are prolonged and high enough, CO poisoning can be fatal. Modern heaters are quite safe, and scheduling service with us minimizes the risk of anything going wrong. Even so, CO detectors must be installed, and by qualified professionals.

Contact Moody Heating and Air Conditioning for exceptional heating services.

Comments are closed.